Man gives his ailing wife a white Christmas on a 50-degree day

Gray Whitley / The Wilson Times

Laurie and Kevin Pearson stand in their "snow"-covered yard after he surprised her.

All a North Carolina woman battling Stage IV cancer wanted this year was a white Christmas, so her husband made it happen on a 50-degree day.

A few weeks before the holidays, Laurie Pearson told her husband Kevin that she wished it would snow for Christmas at their home in Wilson, N.C. It only snows in Wilson about once every two years, according to Kevin, but he was going to do whatever it took to fulfill her wish.

Courtesy Janice Jones

Four tons of ice were converted into snow by the Raleigh-based company Snow My Yard, which performed the service at a discounted price after hearing the Pearsons' story.

“In August we found out her cancer had metastasized to her bones and brain, so I didn’t think we would have her with us this Christmas,’’ Kevin Pearson told TODAY.com. “I started racking my brain and came up with an idea. I just wanted her to be happy because I was afraid this will be her last Christmas.’’

Helped by an idea from his sister, Janice Jones, Pearson hired Snow My Yard, a business owned by Greater Raleigh Refrigeration in Raleigh, N.C., to create man-made snow that would cover the couple’s property. On Dec. 22, Pearson took his wife out for a few hours, and when they returned, four tons of ice had been converted into a winter wonderland on their yard on a 50-degree day.

“We were having a small Christmas get-together at our house, and when she saw the ice truck parked out there she said, ‘I know we don’t need that much ice,’’’ Kevin Pearson said. “There was a glow on her face and then she smiled and said, ‘What have you done now?’ The look on her face, that was my Christmas. I just wanted to see that happiness on her face.’’

Courtesy Janice Jones

North Carolina woman Laurie Pearson (at left), who is battling Stage IV cancer, received a surprise white Christmas from her husband, who had a company create man-made snow to fulfill her Christmas wish. She is pictured with sister-in-law Janice Jones on her snow-filled front yard on Dec. 22.

Neighborhood kids and her grandchild, nieces and nephews frolicked in the snow to Laurie Pearson’s delight, whipping snowballs and riding sleds. It was a heartwarming moment in an ongoing battle for Laurie, who was taken to the hospital on Christmas Eve with a fever and has remained there since.

“To him there is no request too small or too grand when it comes to her,’’ Jones told TODAY.com. “He was going to find a way to make her dreams come true and that he did. Even in her request for snow, it was more about giving. She wanted the kids to have a white Christmas, and she wanted to enjoy watching them sledding and snow ball fighting and laughing at the excitement of it all.’’

Courtesy Janice Jones

Kevin Pearson, who fulfilled his ailing wife's wish of a white Christmas, had some fun making snowballs with family and kids from the neighborhood.

Snow My Yard normally charges about $250-300 per ton of ice in addition to travel costs, but did the whole thing for $350 after hearing the story behind it. The company has done similar things for kids in the Make-A-Wish foundation and was moved by the Pearsons’ circumstances.

“It’s tragic, and I was glad we could help,’’ Greater Raleigh Refrigeration president Brian Turner told TODAY.com. “She seemed very surprised and happy. It was definitely for a good cause.’’

Laurie was diagnosed with breast cancer in February of 2011 and then was found to also have colorectal cancer. She had colon surgery and breast surgery, and was in remission before doctors found another lump on her chest in August of this year. Doctors found that the cancer had spread to her bones, brain and pelvic area, and told her husband she had two to three months to live.

Courtesy Janice Jones

Laurie Pearson enjoyed watching her niece, Kyleigh (pictured), making snow angels after a surprise white Christmas from her husband.

“Four months later, she’s still with us,’’ he said. “She’s a wonderful lady who fights every day.’’

The couple, who have been together for eight years, got married in May of 2011 in a wedding that Laurie planned in only a month after things were sped up as a result of her diagnosis in February. They were married in a beach ceremony in Emerald Isle, N.C. They do not have any children together, but Laurie has a son from a previous relationship and is a grandmother of one.

“She always says it’s the little things that make the biggest difference, and she lives each day to make a difference,’’ Jones said.

Read more:

Aurora shooting survivor: Don't lose hope in humanity

Man recovers lost photos of family's beloved 'nana'

One family's Christmas wish: A healthy heart for Teresa

#26Acts of kindness you can do right now

People.com

Discuss this post

Jump to discussion page: 1 2

There ARE still good people in this country...we just don't hear enough about them

• 20 votes
Reply#1 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:50 PM EST

A very touching story. You're right [someday] we just don't hear enough of the good.

• 16 votes
Reply#2 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 PM EST

That is pure love.

• 14 votes
Reply#3 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:40 PM EST

Truely heartwarming. These are two wonderful people who the entire country can learn a valuable lesson from. Just love each and give to one another! God bless them both!

• 14 votes
Reply#4 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:01 PM EST

This story made me smile and cry all at once.This man is one awesome husband and she is very resilient to have fought this cancer so long.If any two people on earth were worthy of a miracle then I'd name these two lovebirds.

• 14 votes
Reply#5 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:08 PM EST

If you read this without your eyes watering, you are truly heartless. I LOVE IT! Sorry she is dying, but so happy that she has such a thoughtful, loving husband.

• 12 votes
Reply#6 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 PM EST
Comment author avatarguitarick1Expand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

to those who claim there is no God, these people r merely sociopaths. ur one of those pseudo-intellectuals who doesn't believe anything that is not tangible! don't b surprised when judgement day comes to find yourself in the same line to hell, with the shooter, and con artist!! jesus himsel said that he'd rather have you hot or cold towards him than luke warm! it's not to late to repent and accept God!! but, i know: the bible is only "fairie tales", rite???? (it's to late to repent when your dead!!!) foolish, foolish people!!!

• 2 votes
Reply#7 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 PM EST

sorry. msn took me to the wrong article!!! my post is about the con artist working a scheme about the tragic shooting!!! thx msn, stupid program!!!

• 3 votes
Reply#8 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:08 PM EST

I do hope the lady has gotten well enough to return home and the cancer goes into complete remission.

Nice story.

• 11 votes
Reply#9 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:08 PM EST

That would be a true Christmas miracle.

• 10 votes
#9.1 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:27 PM EST

Stage IV: cancers have often metastasized, or spread to other organs or throughout the body

Remission, sadly not likely.

#9.2 - Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:33 PM EST

A heartwarming and tear jerking story. Just the part where her husband says that he knows this is her last Christmas...that is just unimaginable. I give him credit for pulling out all the stops and let her hear the snow crunch under her feet one last time. I give the company credit for producing so much snow and not jacking up the price. It is good to see that there are still a few good people out there.

• 13 votes
    Reply#10 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:26 PM EST

She doesn't look the least bit happy in any of those pictures. I understand her problems but this should have brought her a little joy? The only people smiling are her husband and kids. Sad.

• 3 votes
    Reply#11 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:42 PM EST

Max - the poor woman has a brain tumor. Brain tumors can cause what is called a flat affect -basically an inability to show emotion. It in no way means she is unappreciative. I am sure it brought her great joy and I am also sure that her husband, who knows her best, understood her feelings.

• 16 votes
    #11.1 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 AM EST

Oh please!! Maybe she just didn't feel good enough to smile! I'll bet she was smiling and laughing on the inside.

• 11 votes
    #11.2 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 PM EST

I wasn't saying anything to be mean. This is why I hate these forums - everybody always interprets what I write as being disparaging and answers back with condescending remarks.

This is why I don't have misunderstandings in my life because I don't read into things that aren't there.

#11.3 - Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 PM EST

Max

Who said you were saying something to be mean?

What I read into it is; a couple of people recognized you were reading too much into her expression.

Maybe it is you with the problem of interpretation.

• 1 vote
      #11.4 - Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:06 PM EST

Well that story wasn't too good for me.

I need to drive to the store and my eyes are blurry.

• 8 votes
      Reply#13 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:44 PM EST

Great Christmas story!

Hey Hollywood, make a movie about this story. Then donate the profits to cancer cure research or to fulfilling such last wishes.

• 10 votes
      Reply#14 - Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:01 PM EST

A purely heart-felt gift, and warm.

• 8 votes
      Reply#15 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:16 AM EST

Now see? A good story. Wow. God bless this man for doing this for his dying wife. My God. That is really rare. This story made me bawl. God bless you lady and family too.

• 6 votes
      Reply#17 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 AM EST

I know in my heart, that if given the chance, he would much rather give her the cure!!! I lost my best friend to cancer in November. I felt so inadequate. I still wonder, did i do everything i could for him??? I would have given my life for this guy, he was more than a friend, he was like a brother to me! I miss him, and this man will miss her, forever!!!

I haven't cried this hard since November, thanks for sharing this awsome story!!!!

• 7 votes
      Reply#18 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:00 AM EST

wow we all need stories like that

• 4 votes
      Reply#19 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:29 AM EST
      Comment author avatarJoe ScatoneExpand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

I've given many women pearl necklaces. Does that count as a white Christmas?

Reply#20 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 PM EST

Yeah, sure you have. I doubt you've ever been with a women. Had you said 'dudes' instead of 'women', I wouldn't question it based on the picture you selected for your profile.

• 3 votes
        #20.1 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 PM EST

Joe Scatone - Really jackass? I hope someone you're close to gets diagnosed with a serious disease so you can then read some a$$hole's immature comment. There's a time and place for crude humor and this wasn't it.

• 9 votes
        Reply#21 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 PM EST

Get off the Internet if you're so easily offended.

#21.1 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 PM EST

It would be different if your jokes were the least bit funny. I've read your other posts. They're not.

• 7 votes
          #21.2 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:41 PM EST

Don't feed the troll! All of his posts are 100% offensive.

• 3 votes
          #21.3 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 PM EST

I just finished reading your other discussing posts, Joe Scatone. You definitely should seek professional help.

#21.4 - Wed Jan 2, 2013 11:20 PM EST

Not literally all of them.

Reply#22 - Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:17 PM EST

Awesome story and I wish the news media would have made a big deal over it!

• 2 votes
              Reply#23 - Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 PM EST

Matt Lauer makes 25 million for reading cue cards.........seriously? NBC - you should be embarrassed for such nonsense. Do you really think anybody cares. If you fired him and replaced him with any of about, oh - let's say, the other 10 million people qualified to read cue cards - your damn show would be just as bad as it is now.

I am done watching any of your shows.

Pathetic!

Reply#24 - Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 PM EST

I hope the good Lord blesses this company abundantly in the New Year. - They sacrificially gave in hopes of making someone else's day a little better.

• 1 vote
                Reply#25 - Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 AM EST

My Grandmother was diagnosed with 6 months to live but passed after 3 just a few weeks ago.

Im happy for them that she is still around and fighting, and that they got to have one last beautiful christmas together.

Reply#26 - Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:29 PM EST

What a beautiful story. It shows how much he loves his wife.

Reply#27 - Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:49 PM EST
                    Jump to discussion page: 1 2
                    You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                    As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.