Discuss as:

Prince William: Kate feels morning sickness will 'go on forever'

Getty Images file

Prince William and Duchess Kate are shown here after she was discharged from the hospital.

Severe morning sickness continues to plague the recently hospitalized Duchess Kate – who is now recovering at home – prompting her husband to curb his public appointments.

Prince William cancelled a Sunday appearance at the British Military Tournament so he could stay at Kensington Palace with his wife, who is newly pregnant with their first child.

The Duke of Cambridge commented about the severity of her illness just a night earlier when he went solo to London’s Royal Albert Hall for the Winter Whites Gala, a benefit for the homeless charity Centrepoint.

“I don’t know why they call it morning sickness – they should call it all-day and all-night sickness,” he reportedly told the charity’s former chairman, Michael O’Higgins. “It’s a long old process but she is getting there. She feels like it is going to go on forever.”

Duchess Kate is suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum, a rare condition that hits pregnant women in the form of severe nausea, vomiting and other debilitating symptoms. She spent several days being treated for the condition at London’s King Edward VII hospital.

She has cancelled all of her immediate public appearances until further notice, according to the palace.

“It is well known that hyperemesis gravidarum often recurs,” officials said in a statement. “Until further notice, to allow the Duchess a degree of privacy during her pregnancy, we do not intend to offer regular condition checks or advise of routine developments."

Meanwhile, the two Australian radio DJs who made a prank call to the hospital where the duchess was being treated have broken their silence over the death of a nurse involved in their hoax.

The radio hosts had called pretending to be Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles and were quickly dispatched to the duchess' private nurse. The woman who took the initial call was later found dead.

DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who have since been taken off the air of 2DayFM radio, said the tragedy has left them “shattered, gutted, heartbroken.”

More from TODAY: